Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Sweetie Pie: Pregnancy & Labor tales

Just wanna jot down my memories of having Pie and the labor... before I forget.

We got married in the year 2003. At that time, we decided to have our first baby 2 years later (or rather 1 1/2 years later get pregnant), so that we can enjoy our "freedom" of the twosome only. But then, when it comes to getting pregnant, nothing follows closely to the schedule. I was pregnant 6 months later... Though it was much earlier than we planned and expected, we were still overjoyed.

How did I realized I was pregnant ?

We were in Genting one weekend... During the night, I was having bad stomach pain (feeling more like diarrheoa but cannot come out kind). My initial thoughts went back to my Grandfather (whom passed away with stomach cancer). Whenever I have stomachache, I would think whether do I have the same illness. I cried myself to sleep, trying not to think so much, but still couldn't brush the feeling away. When we came down from Genting, we immediately went to my usual GP, just to find that she wasn't around. Not wanting other GPs, we droved back home. During the ride home, I suddenly had thoughts that I could be pregnant. No idea why I suddenly think like that... maybe it's because my menstrual had yet to come (it was late for 1 week). Thus we went to Guardian to buy a pregnancy test kit. I also asked the pharmacist in charge whether one of the symptoms of pregnancy is having the feeling of diarrheoa. It's either she's trying to console me or that she do know something, coz she answered me yes, as well as listing other symptoms.

Back home, I tested, and had a shock... There were 2 lines... I immediately told hubby the news. As we had dinner to attend, we brushed the thing aside until the next day, when we went to see my GP. She confirmed my tests... I was truly excited...

My pregnancy in a nutshell

My pregnancy was like most mothers, going through the nausea-vomitting-heartburn-baby hiccups-baby kicks stage. I do have my fair share of vomitting, if not mistaken, it lasted for about 1 month (on and off). I lost some kgs then (which I'm gladly to lose it again now), but piled up again when 2nd trimester came in.

Overall, it was a truly amazing experience, watching my body grow, with the baby growing inside. Couldn't wait for the moment of truth, the due date to see my firstborn.

My labor

During my 35th week checkup, my gynae mentioned that the baby's head is quite big, and that if the head grows bigger, I'll have to go through c-sect. When I heard that, I was quite devastated, as I wanted to go through a normal birth. To tell the truth, I am quite scared of operations, and during my pregnancy, I had thoughts that maybe I will die during giving birth. Nights before delivery, I tend to cry myself to sleep with such thoughts.

A few days later (into end of 36th week), I had stomach pain at night (around 10+). Thought maybe I ate something that doesn't go well with my stomach, I just went to sleep. In the morning, I was still not feeling too comfy, thus didn't go to work.

Initially, I wanted to just see my normal GP, just to get an MC from her; but MIL advised me otherwise as I am nearing to my due date.

11am:
Hubby brought me to visit my gynae. Imagine my shock when he told me that I am 3cm dilated, and should be admitted to the labor room. I kept asking whether will the baby be alright, will the baby be prematured (which he assured me that the baby is big enough and healthy to be born).

1pm:
At the 1st stage room, I was strapped to the machine, to listen to the baby's heartbeat. It was beating fast and loudly. Was thinking in a few hours, I'll be seeing my newborn. According to the machine, I had contractions, but I couldn't feel it at all.

2pm:
I was allowed to walk around the room (it's a private room), and I chit chatted with my Mum (hubby had to go back to the office and Mum came over instead). I even called back to the office to inform them that I am in the labor ward and left some messages. Was thinking, gosh this is taking too long...

8pm:
As I was still 3cm dilated only, gynae said that I need to be induced. Was given some form of liquid to clear the motion, and then walked to the labor room. Here, I was given a drip (to be induced), and we waited again (watched some shows along the way).

10+ pm:
Gynae broke my water bag, and the pain came intensely. Could still bear with the pain, thus refused gynae's suggestion of taking epidural.

12+ am:
Contractions were coming much more stronger than I anticipated (I could withstand pain, but this was too much)... Requested for epidural, and was informed that I had to wait for the anesthetist for about an hour (everyone would be at home sleeping, which was what my gynae did as well). At that time, I was like, shucks, have to bear with the pain for another hour ? Time passed and half an hour later, the anesthetist came and gave me the epidural. With the epidural, I could relax... and found out that I was 6cm dilated.

1+ am:
An hour later, my cervix was fully dilated, and I felt the need to push. After 2 pushes (with the vacumm's help), Sweetie Pie was born.

My Labor in a nutshell
In labor (from being induced): 5 hours

True to the words "Once you've seen your baby, you'll forget how painful the journey of labor was". I immediately forgot about the pain and all my focus was on my baby girl. My bundle of joy...